Foreigners with tourist status may obtain refund of tax (value added tax) that has been transferred to them in the purchase of goods in stores established in Mexico, provided that the following requirements are met:
- Returned abroad by air or sea.
- Have tax receipts.
- That goods purchased actually leave the country.
- The minimum purchase per store is 1,200 pesos with electronic payment.
- The purchase has been made in stores participating in the Tax Refund Program for foreign tourists.
- Purchased by electronic payment (credit card, debit card or services issued abroad by foreign financial institutions), or in cash purchases provided as long as they do not exceed 3,000 pesos per tourist.
Return is done by authorized dealers in attention units they have established for that purpose.
To make the return effective, tourist must:
- Ask the store where you made the purchase your tax receipt, it must contain tourist information and tax return request form (also available in attention units).
- Go to modules located in ports and airports for this purpose.
- Present the goods for which the tax is requested to verify they are leaving the country.
- Subsequent to verification, goods with an amount exceeding 5,000 pesos (including tax) are physically validated; In case of a lower amount, this validation may or may not be carried out.
- Once the merchandise has been validated and the documentation has been reviewed, the corresponding refund will be paid.
The amount of the refund is paid in Mexican pesos, by reimbursement to the electronic instrument used for purchase, or in cash up to a maximum of 50% of the amount to be paid to tourist, not to exceed 10,000 pesos. Remainder is deposited electronically in the account indicated.
This benefit works in cities with greater influx of foreign tourists, such as Mexico City, Guadalajara, Cancun, Los Cabos, Puerto Vallarta, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlán, Majahual, Progreso and Ensenada.